Thursday, September 17, 2009

Vivian Week 2



Vivian weighed in today at 245.5 pounds. She lost one pound this week. Way to go Vivian! Last week Vivian decided she wanted to do our medical weight loss program and our 28 day detox. Our 28 day detox consists of a modified elimination diet which is very restricting, eliminating food items such as gluten, dairy, caffeine, red meat, sugar, coffee and more. Last Sunday Vivian emailed me to let me know she was doing the detox but she felt very hungry and that she was extremely tired due to the fact her son was sick all weekend and wouldn’t sleep. She really sounded down and unmotivated. I told her that she should not feel deprived and hungry and that if she lost weight feeling that way she probably wouldn’t keep it off because who wants to feel like that? I suggested we postpone the detox plan for now and focus on learning how to make healthy choices and that I am not putting her on a diet, I am teaching her life long skills. For someone like Vivian (who has never been exposed to reading food labels, watching portions or understanding which ingredients are good for you and bad for you) beginning a restrictive diet will most certainly lead to failure. Eating healthy does not mean you have to go hungry and never having your favorite foods again. We need to take baby steps and it is going to take time to learn good eating habits. Going slow will give you a better chance for success.

Vivian told me how hard it was to pass up Chick-fil-A and not get a chicken biscuit. I told her that she can still have a breakfast sandwich that tastes good with less calories and fat. See below for the recipe and calorie information. Knowing I would never eat pizza, cookies or macaroni and cheese ever again would unmotivate me so what do you do? The key is to learn how to make healthy substitutes and watch your portions and that takes time to do. I will share one of the tips each week that I discuss with Vivian.

Tip: Use a salad plate as your dinner plate and don’t go back for seconds unless you are getting more green leafy vegetables. Thanks to restaurants people are under the impression that a normal size meal comes on a dinner plate (or bigger, like a pasta bowl) and that you fill it high and wide. When I am stressed (which can be often) I tend to want to eat a lot, so before I fix my salad plate with my dinner I will take a Tupperware container and fill it with fresh spinach leaves, diced cucumbers, mushrooms, and 2 tbsps. of balsamic vinaigrette (without high fructose corn syrup or added sugar), put the lid on and shake it up so the dressing gets on everything and eat that before dinner. You can eat a whole bag of fresh spinach because it is so low in calories and really good for you. You can use iceberg or romaine lettuce but it doesn’t have any nutrients in it and spinach does. This helps fill me up before dinner so I will eat less.

See you next week Vivian!


Egg, Turkey and Cheese Bagel Breakfast Sandwich: Toast one 100% whole wheat mini bagel, scramble one egg with 1 tbsp. of nonfat milk, 2 thin slices of mesquite smoked turkey grilled a little on the stove and sprinkle a tbsp. of finely shredded cheddar cheese (use low fat mozzarella for even less calories and fat). 271 calories, 23g protein, 26g carbohydrates, 12g fat

By eating this instead of the Chick-fil-a biscuit Vivian saved 149 calories, 18g carbohydrates and 7g of fat!

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to my clients up here in Massachusetts! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 lb lost in a week is safe and healthy. I used to love McDonald's but now I hate it with a passion because I like my new healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete